‘Militants threatened to slit our throats’

Indonesian Foreign Minister Retno Marsudi (L) shakes hands with Indonesian sailors during ceremony to mark hostages being handed over to families at the Foreign Ministry office in Jakarta on May 2, 2016, after ten Indonesian sailors held hostage by Abu Sayyaf Islamic militants returned home on May 1 after being freed in the southern Philippines, less than a week after the gunmen beheaded a Canadian captive.  About five weeks after being abducted, the 10 tugboat crew turned up outside the house of the provincial governor on the remote Philippine island of Jolo. They flew back to Jakarta later the same day, arriving on a private plane at an air force base before being driven away in a minibus without speaking to reporters. / AFP PHOTO / ADEK BERRY


Jakarta / AFP

An Indonesian sailor told on Monday how Philippine militants threatened to slit his throat during a terrifying kidnap ordeal, a day after he and nine other crew members were released.
The sailors were freed on Sunday in the strife-torn southern Philippines after more than a month in the hands of Abu Sayyaf militants, and flew back to Jakarta. The Indonesians were among about 20 foreigners abducted in a recent Abu Sayyaf kidnapping spree, and their release came just days after the militants beheaded a Canadian hostage.
The sailors, who were taken hostage in late March from a tugboat transporting a coal barge, were reunited with their families Monday after doctors confirmed they were in good health.
Crew member Julian Philip described how they were taken hostage by eight militants disguised in Philippine police uniforms, who boarded the tug from speedboats and tied up the sailors.
The barge was then abandoned, and the Indonesians were taken to an island and divided into two groups. They were moved every few days to avoid the military, which has launched an assault against Abu Sayyaf. “We were all stressed out because they frequently threatened to slit our throats,” he told reporters after the 10 were reunited with their families at the foreign ministry.
However, Philip added the militants did not harm them and he thought that in reality “they did not want any of us to die as they would not get any money”. He said he did not know whether a ransom was paid for their release.
“We were just put in a car and sent on our way and told to look for the governor’s house,” he said. The sailors turned up at the house of a local governor on Jolo, a mountainous and jungle-clad island in the far south of the Philippines that is an Abu Sayyaf stronghold.

Leave a Reply

Send this to a friend