A German electric locomotive from 1933 is one of five historic items of rolling stock recently added to the DB Museum, a Nuremberg, Germany museum that is paradise for trainspotters.
The 1933 engine, which was built by the Wismar/SSW engine works and used to haul passenger and freight trains in southern and central Germany, is one of three electric locomotives newly presented on the
museumâ€™s grounds, along with two diesel locomotives.
The attraction, believed to be the oldest railway museum in the world, is run by a foundation set up by Deutsche Bahn, Germanyâ€™s national railway company. All told there are now more than 30 restored engines from various eras on display in the museum yard.
Another of the electric locomotives was made by Krupp/BBC in 1953 and is the Series 110 type that hauled most of West Germanyâ€™s express trains for decades.
One of the diesel locomotives, built by Krauss-Maffei in 1952, has a long and chequered history. It was taken out of German service in 1978 and sold to Italy. The DB Museum purchased it from the Italian owners in 2008 and brought it back to Germany for restoration and display.